Thursday 2 January 2014

a post Christmas, Christmas decoration post !



Over here the decs can stay up till Twelth Night, and as mine only went up the week before Christmas they're here to stay for a couple more days and I nearly forgot, to post about the no-cost decorations in the café where I work, so here is a post Christmas, Christmas decoration post !
Bliss reminded me, when she asked about the star I made for her Christmas in July party !


I made it from part of a vegetable crate, and I intended to make a lot more, but in the end the vegetable crates were turned into something much better. Recycling packaging for the decorations, works with the cafe's ethos, locally sourced food, organic where possible, and fixtures made from broken groins and beach junk.

 
There are some artists studios next to the café, and the most prolific artist (and the oldest) is David Barber. He's very grumpy, especially when he's having his photo taken !
 
 
I asked him to make a reindeer for our windowsill, out of the veg crates, and he made Blitzen.
 
 
Sculpted him perfectly and decorated him with shells and bottle tops.
 

And Donna, flying through the sky past garlands made of garlic plaits and order tickets,

 
and driven by Pingu ! (sorry about the photos)

 
I made baubles out of camembert boxes, bottle tops, packaging and recycled ribbons.


Christmas trees out of egg cartons, driftwood and more bottle tops.





 

And hopefully Blitzen will be coming home with me because contrary to his photo, David is quite a sweet old bloke. So, I promise, no more Christmas, not for 11 months or so (unless Bliss has another Christmas in July party !).
 
Wishing you all a happy and healthy 2014 x
 
 

13 comments:

  1. I love the reindeer! I hope you get to take it home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What a great window display for your restaurant! It looks like you have some fun decorating for the holidays at work. And what a great location, right on the beach! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, Fiona!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fiona!

    Firstly, LOVE the title of this post! I am always so impressed and rejuvenated when I see such creativity in the world, and your beautiful Christmas decorations are adorable, all of them, just so imaginative and whimsical!!

    Your cafe looks like a charming place to work; you are one lucky girl, my artsy friend!

    xo
    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who would have thought to make a Christmas tree out of pink egg cartons?

    The reindeer are wonderful.

    I know a lot of people here who keep their decorations up to Twelfth Night.

    Happy New Year

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this Post Christmas Decoration Post Fiona! Very creative minds at work here! I loved the star and then saw the baubles with it and that made it all the better! The Christmas tree was very cool too! Great job!

    Happy, healthy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I LOVE it! So beautifully sculpted. My sister is an artist and can have that same look...I recognize it well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Blitzen is the cutest thing. I like the philosophy of the place you work for!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! I love Blitzen - David did a brilliant job, love your work as always - Happy New Year Fiona, CJ

    ReplyDelete
  9. Donna?! More rapid than eagles his coursers they came,
    And he whistled, and shouted, and call'd them by name:
    "Now! Dasher, now! Dancer, now! Prancer, and Vixen,
    "On! Comet, on! Cupid, on! Dunder and Blixem;
    "To the top of the porch! to the top of the wall!
    "Now dash away! dash away! dash away all!"

    ReplyDelete
  10. So very awesome! I just want to sit in that cafe and look at all of those cool recycled Christmas decorations! Lucky you to have such a cool piece made by a famed artist...even if he is a little grumpy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Holy Reindeer Fiona! You are right, they sort of outshine the crate star you made. Now how cool is it to have an artist next door. If David gets tired of painting he could design a whole bunch of crate reindeer and you know those would sell!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amazing stuff Fiona! Happy New Year to you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVE this! It is the best decoration I've seen all season!

    ReplyDelete

It's always a pleasure to receive your comments. I really enjoy reading them, and a huge thank you if you are following as well !