Sunday 26 August 2012

pillow talk


When is a pillow not a pillow - when it's a cushion !
Well that's what we call them in the UK. The ones you lay your head on at night, they're pillows.

Cushions are the decorative ones that we all love but which men generally think are unnecessary. Whatever you call them, I am sure 'what do ya want another one of those for', is a phrase we have all heard many times over.

Anyway, I have selective hearing - I made another one !

I used the linen tablemat in the bottom left of this photo.


I attached it to a remnant of burlap style fabric left over from my Pass It On Project, and I really like the way it turned out.


It took about 3 hours to make. I put another piece of fabric behind the burlap to strengthen it. I attached the central section with bondaweb, and then stitched over the embroidered sections every centimetre or so, to hold it in place.



I made some piping from the same fabric and was quite pleased with myself, until I saw that Carol from Art and Sand had made beautiful white slip covers for a whole sofa and a chair. They look amazing, just pop over and see. I don't think I'd ever have enough patience to do that much sewing.

Anyway, I backed my cushion with the same Laura Ashley fabric that I used for the pelmet over the window, and although that fabric is nice, the piping hides it from the front, which I like.




I also fixed up and finished off the other cushion, that sits on the chair. I re-inforced the holes where the eyelets pulled out, with more bondaweb (which I've had stashed away for about 20 years !).


I also used bondaweb to stick the 'welcome' panel on. I decided I preferred it to the plainer version.


I put the cushion pad back in and tied the ribbons again






Not bad, for the cost of a £3 tablemat from my nearest charity shop.

If you've been here before, you may have noticed that the bed cover is missing. That's because my dear darling diddy dog decided to leave me a little present, when he couldn't keep his breakfast down one morning, and I was out. It's in the wash !



linking up with - 
Tuesdays Treasures @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
Nifty Thrifty Tuesdays @ Coastal Charm
Cowgirl Up @ The Farmhouse Porch
Knick of Time Tuesdays @ Knick of Time
What's It Wednesday @ Ivy and Elephants
Wow Us Wednesdays @ Savvy Southern Style
Primp Your Stuff Wednesdays @ {Primp}
All Star Block Party @ Full Circle Creations
Inspiration Friday @ At the Picket Fence
Frugal Friday @ The Shabby Nest
Air Your Laundry (Friday Textile Party) @ Freckled Laundry
Feathered Nest Friday @ French Country Cottage
Vintage Inspiration Friday @ Common Ground
Simple & Sweet Fridays @ Rooted in Thyme

Saturday Nite Special @ Funky Junk Interiors
Sunday's Best @ My 1929 Charmer
Sunday Showcase Party @ Under The Table and Dreaming


31 comments:

  1. Fiona, I'm loving your 'cushions'. I read this and thought of my hubby - you Brits sound so much alike!!! Love all the cushions. Really fantastic work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous combination of lace and burlap on your pillow....er cushion! You've got patience to make piping from burlap!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fiona,
    I totally love the tablemat pillow!!! What a great idea you had putting it all together. Just found some of my own blue linen mats and now I want to do the same with one or two. Thanks for the inspiration! I can't forget to mention the black checked pillow too...LOVE black checked anything! Very smart looking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You little cushion maker you. Those are darn cute. I say every time you hear "what do you need another one of those for" that you make two!

    ~Bliss~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely! I have so many bits of old lace and embroidery that I pick up from thrifts. Perhaps one day, I will be so inspired.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is quite a cushion!! Love all the detail! Really, really pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful cushions!!!!
    Have a great week :o)
    ~Des

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are so talented!! Pillow ... cushion ... whatever it is yours are truly awesome. Love that they have Pass It On Project material in them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh, fiona, i LOVE these! love the pom poms, lace, and checks! great job on the piping--it looks scary to do. wasn't carol's slips amazing?!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the effect of the burlap behind the cut out - lovely! CJ

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are too sweet to have mentioned me and my slipcovers.

    I had to laugh when you mentioned the phrase " do we need another one"? Steve is always commenting that their are too many pillows around the house. And, he HATES buttons so I have to be careful how I do the closures on pillows he will use.

    I love your pillows, but I particularly love the navy with the sweet bows.

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Both of these pillows (I'm in the US!) are just gorgeous. I love your creativity. You would have paid a small fortune for someone to make these from scratch for you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like we have both been busy at the sewing machine. Your pillows are charming and I love the lampshade you made with your Grandmom's lace. How special is that? :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your pillow, they are really cute! I'm digging the way the burlap shows through on the first one.
    Terrie @ HearthandWhimsy.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your cushions are delightful! I never knew there was a difference between a cushion and a pillow -- thanks for the explanation.

    Debra

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful workmanship and such creative ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello Fiona!
    Those chushions are lovely! Just perfect, great job!
    Besos from Argentina and thanks for your sweet comment.
    Silvina

    ReplyDelete
  18. What an incredible job you have done with all the cushions! My favorite is the one with the pom poms!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fiona, your cushions are a beauty! I love your use of the burlap. Wonderful workmanship!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful craftsmanship...they're stunning! I love the neutral color scheme!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful pillows ~ oops cushions! : ) I have way too many myself; some I've made and some I've bought.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful pillow, beautiful craftsmanship! Gorgeous, and loving the neutral color scheme. Your work is outstanding! Thanks for sharing your creative inspiration with Sunday’s Best – you helped make the party a success!

    ReplyDelete
  23. All your cushions are so beautiful. You have a wonderful eye and the execution is terrific! ~ Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  24. Just found your blog and love this project. Would love if you would share on Simple & Sweet Fridays. So creative!

    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you for sharing your wonderful talent on Simple & Sweet Fridays.

    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  26. I LOVE this combo of fabrics. Glad you were able to repair the grommet. These cushions look awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  27. You say 'potayto', I say 'potahto'...pillow, cushion, it doesn't matter, they're GORGEOUS and very welcoming, indeed!

    Poppy

    ReplyDelete

It's always a pleasure to receive your comments. I really enjoy reading them, and a huge thank you if you are following as well !