Monday 23 January 2012

Wooden block creation 'thingey'

I have been getting on with my 'impossibilities' challenge, but slowly. There have been a few hiccups, and my strength (or lack of it), is holdng me back. Also, for a few hours a day we try to keep things quiet around here. Our neighbour is a milkman and so he sleeps during the afternoon ! And as we live in a terrace, drilling into a brick wall is not the quietest thing to do.

So, I have been working on other stuff. I am trying to get together pieces for an eclectic gallery wall. I have various prints, but I want to add some texture and 'pieces of junk'.


The red paintings are going (I wish the sofa would go too - although it is very comfortable, I just don't DO red sofas ! It's the old geezers) and somehow I need to mix the photos at the far end with some new pictures, and make it work around the little hatch to the kitchen.

I have been picking up pieces of wood - every time the dear old geezer saws something in the garden, I go around picking up interesting pieces (of course, that's my version of interesting). The rest is saved for the log burner.
One of the very many blogland inspirations I love, is the use of lettering. It's everywhere, on furniture, fabric, as subway signs etc. and it's always so effective, so I thought I would combine my chunks of wood and a few numerals and a bit of lettering.
These are my blocks laid out.


So far, so good. I can't be doing with all that printing malarkey. I work off a lap top, so I would have to go to the old geezer and say
                                                 'can I just .......'
                                                 'can you just show me................'
                                                 'can you please get off that computer that you are
                                                  surgically attached to'
                                                  etc.
                                                  etc.
                                                  etc...............................

So, I just got out a paint brush, a pencil and a few match pots, and.............................


probably should have got some tracings done, as I had to re-paint a couple.


He's thinking ' why do we have to be upstairs in this little room, when we could be in the kitchen near all the FOOD'  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, in the end, I did it all/ realised I didn't like it enough/ waited till this morning and cut it in two - now I'm happy.


Yes, it's not straight, not perfect, but I like it; and the big chunk of white wood that I cut off will become a little shelf.

 I added some (badly) cut out metal numbers, screwing them into place, and a bit of left over rusty mesh from my beach junk post and basically it didn't work with all the little blocks. So I am going to turn it sideways and use it as a shelf.

But I'm pleased with my 'block' piece. I painted letters down the sides as well. Added a few metal things I found in the 'nail and screw' tin !!!



The right side reminds me of Frankensteins monster - I got a bit slap happy with the staple gun.


My block thingy, type shelf thing-a-me-jig has versatility !!!



AND, AND ladies - my 'HOME' (from TK Maxx) has never really had a home, and now this little 'home' has found the perfect home on my creation. That was worth the hours I spent on this.

And the cost - well nothing really, as I 'found' or 'had' everything, although I did get through rather a lot of glue sticks - so maybe £2.00 (approx. $3).

Linking this with
Terrific under ten Tuesdays @ At Home With K
Take-a-look Tuesdays @ Sugar Bee crafts
Nifty Thrifty Tuesdays @ Coastal Charm
Show me what ya got @ Not Just a Housewife
Under $100 Linky Party @ Beyond The Picket Fence
Saturday Nite Special @ funky junk interiors
Pot Pourri Friday @ 2805
Debbiedoos Newbie Party @ Debbiedoos
Metamorphosis Monday @ Between Naps on the Porch

19 comments:

  1. Fiona, you're a little junk creator addict!
    Love you girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, looks so cool! again i say, good job with the beach junk!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so cool! I love it...and guess what....I'm going to look at scrap wood differently now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like it! Hope you are putting that on Funky Junk Sat Nite. She'll love it! ~ Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  5. How darn cute is that Fiona? I love it. I'm a sucker for letters, but am envious you did that all by hand. Did you hang it over the sofa?

    ~Bliss~

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved scrolling down the pictures as your little box of wood, then numbers, etc. developed. I am totally enamored of numbers, alphabets and blocks of wood. I may have to try something like this myself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your wood creation. So personal. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE your creation! This kind of resourceful reinvention really excites my sensibilities. You should do MORE of these!
    -Revi

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm right there with you on loving the text theme sweeping blogland. I love the look of text against various backgrounds. The eye automatically goes to it and you want to read it. This is a cute example of it too! Just helps showcase even more that art can be found in almost any medium and almost anywhere. Very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is gorgeous and I love it. I may be looking at bits of wood a little differently now. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOVLEY JOB :)
    and do not miss...

    S
    A
    T
    U
    R
    D
    A
    Y

    S
    H
    O
    W

    O
    F
    F

    It is fun :)
    WELCOME
    HÃ¥kan ( The Roseman)

    ReplyDelete
  12. WoW! I really love your block thingy...it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my goodness! I absolutely love this!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Replies
    1. Ok I love your blog! I really like your style! I gave you an award so stop by my place to see it! http://notsosimplehousewife.blogspot.com

      Kaitlin-The Not So SImple Housewife

      Delete
  15. I really love this--such a great look! Thanks for linking up at Beyond the Picket Fence.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You inspire me to make a "Wood Block Thingy" ...<3 it. Come on over to my new blog and see what my Hubby created from wood pallets! Thanks for the inspiration.

    Susan

    http://susan-rainandroses.blogspot.com/2012/02/rustic-wine-cabinet.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well I just spent the past hour looking at your blog and yes you have been busy - I love it, I love it all! Did u blog your seaweed wallpaper stencil that I love I couldn't find it ?? I was explaining it to Philip. Oh and I painted Elliot's wall plain just need advice about paint distressing this union jack. Sam gamble xxx

    ReplyDelete

It's always a pleasure to receive your comments. I really enjoy reading them, and a huge thank you if you are following as well !